Apollo Hospital has been a household name in the healthcare sector for more than a decade now. It is one of India’s most esteemed hospitals and provides healthcare services to millions of patients every year. This article will help you gain an understanding as to what Apollo Hospital Delhi is all about and also find out 10 things that you never thought of. Read on!
First off, we are totally aware that there are many more things that you would want to know about this renowned hospital in the city, but considering our limited time here, we have curated a list with 10 interesting facts that you might not have learned yet. Here go:
1) Conceptualized by Dr. Prathap C Reddy: The hospital was conceptualized in the year 1986 when Dr. Ratna Prathap C. Reddy, a renowned Cardiologist, founded the same.
2) No. 1 cardiac hospital in Asia: The first Apollo Hospital Delhi was opened in Chennai and it is also the largest hospital chain that caters to more than 20 million patients every year across its 24 hospitals located in 7 countries.
3) ISO 9001 and 14001 certification: The hospital has been certified by ISO 9001:2008 and ISO14001:2004 for the quality of services that it provides and this is the first public sector undertaking (PSU) to receive such certifications.
4) Donated his entire wealth for the hospital: The founder of Apollo Hospital Delhi , Dr. Prathap Reddy was the 28th Richest Indian in the Forbes list, but despite all that wealth, he donated all his assets (more than 1.7 billion dollars) to a charitable trust to establish the hospital.
5) Expansion across continents: The Indian arm of this healthcare enterprise has grown into one of the largest hospitals in Asia and is also one of the most reputed hospitals in India. It has 16 hospitals across eight cities in India and its medical tourism business is growing at a good pace too with more than 1 million patients flocking to Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals Delhi every year from other parts of India and beyond.
6) Hospital in every state: The Indian arm of the hospital is expanding across the country with more than five new hospitals operational in newer markets like Pune, Hyderabad and Kolkata, and many more are on the anvil.
7) AICRC accreditation: The hospital has also received certification from the Association of Indian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons (AICRC). This is a prestigious recognition that gives Apollo Hospital New Delhi recognition globally.
Continue Reading Below
8) Never faced any kind of financial crisis: Delhi Apollo Hospital is one of the most reputed healthcare providers in India and has never faced any kind of financial crisis since its inception. The healthcare industry, at large, is not a very fruitful one, but Apollo Hospital Delhi has been a profitable venture since its inception.
9) Healthcare in rural areas: The hospital works towards providing healthcare, even in rural areas. In fact, Apollo Hospitals Delhi pioneered the concept of E-healthcare and telemedicine, which was widely adopted by the Government of India to provide cost-effective and quality health services to people living in remote areas across the nation.
10) Established charitable hospital: Founded by philanthropists, for philanthropists! The hospital established a charitable foundation called the Prathap Reddy Medical Foundation (PRMF) that works towards providing relief to patients who cannot afford high-quality medical treatment. PRMF also works towards conducting research and improving the state of healthcare in India.
So, there you have it! A few interesting things that you probably did not know about Apollo Hospital Delhi!