The lieutenant governor of Delhi is known as the Constitutional head of the National Capital Territory of Delhi who is appointed for the term of five years by the president and holds the position at the president’s pleasure. Do you know when this post was established? It was established in September 1966. The lieutenant governor is the foremost senior officer of the state after the governor. In the absence of the governor, the lieutenant governor acts on the behalf of the governor.
The duties of the Lt. Governor are defined as to sign the order in council and the documents of the cabinet in order to bring them into force of law. The lieutenant governor is having a key role in the constitutional function that is to grant royal assent to the bill passed by the legislative assembly.
Lieutenant Governor of Delhi
Now the question comes who is the lieutenant governor of Delhi? Anil Baijal is a lieutenant governor of the NCT of Delhi. He is appointed as the 21st lieutenant governor of Delhi on 31st December 2016, as after the resignation of Najeeb Jung from the office. Since then he has been residing in Raj Niwas – the official residence of the lieutenant governor of Delhi.
Anil Baijal is a retired officer of the central government civil servant of the Indian Administration Services, he is from the 1969 batch from AGMUT (Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territory) cadre.
Talking about his educational qualifications, Anil Baijal has two master’s degrees. One in arts from Allahabad University and the second master’s degree in economic development from East Anglia University in Norwich, UK. In his career of more than 37 years, he has held various prestigious positions which are as follows:
- As Union Home Secretary when Atal Bihari Vajpayee was in power.
- As chairman of Delhi Development Authority
- As chief Secretary of Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- As Managing Director of Indian Airlines
- As Additional Home Secretary in the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting
- As CEO of Prasar Bharti
- As Development Commissioner of Goa
- As commissioner of Sales tax and Excise of Delhi
- As Councilor In charge of India Aid Mission in Nepal
- Introduced DD Bharti on January 26,2002
- As Secretary of the Urban Development Ministry
- As Executive Council of the Vivekananda International foundation
- As an advisor on (NAG) National E-Governance Advisory Group
- As Advisory Group for Integrated Development of Power, Coal, and renewable energy
- As part of the Committee on Implementation of CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) since 2016 till now.
He is known for being one of the most successful home secretaries. Isn’t it impressive? He acts and performs his roles and responsibilities with utmost good faith and properly. He has been part of many projects and schemes like Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna, PM SVANidhi (a micro-credit facility for street vendors), One Nation One Ration Card (ONORC) he has given a major push towards these schemes.
The powers and functions of the Lt. Governor of Delhi were obtained from the Constitution and other Statutory Provisions. Anil Baijal is holding the position of Lieutenant Governor since 2016 and during his tenure; he is actively participating in his work and doing a great job, and continually reviewing and monitoring some of the schemes for developments and better administration. His whole career of 37 years is served towards the nation; he has performed in almost every sector especially strengthening the weaker section of the society. He held many eminent positions and performed all with very well.